Friday, July 14, 2006

Guggenheim Professors

Because I have been very busy with my academic schedule, I did not find out about the Guggenheim Fellows (and two Lasses) until yesterday. I am very pleased that the list of 2006 Guggenheim Award-winning composers includes six Professors:

Kathryn Alexander, Associate Professor of Music Composition, Yale University
Cristian Amigo, Adjunct Professor, Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, New York University
Donald Crockett, Professor of Composition and Chair, Composition Department, Thornton School of Music, University of Southern California
Anthony Davis, Professor of Music, University of California, San Diego
Jeff Talman, Assistant Professor of Visual and Media Arts, Emerson College
Daniel Trueman, Assistant Professor of Music, Princeton University

Unfortunately, the Guggenheim committee chose to also award the following composers who do not have academic positions as far as I am aware:

Paul Dresher, Haight-Ashbury hippie
Scott Johnson, Christian Scientist
Stewart Wallace, musical theater fag
Janis Mattox, not a music composer, so much as a “multi-media” composer

Let us hope that the Guggenheim Fellowships (and Lassieships) are more wisely handed out in the future.

2 Comments:

Blogger Veronica said...

damn straight! we don't spend thousands of dollars to overpriced universities so some HIPPIE can get an award!!!!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Prof. Heebie McJeebie said...

Dear Miss Veronica,

While I appreciate your point of view which is in agreement with mine, I do not think it is necessary to use such profane language.

I hope you are enjoying your Sixteenth Century Counterpoint Lessons. But please be sure to move on to more advanced Counterpoint classes as soon as you can. The last thing we need is more "minimalist" composers writing renaissance music.

I read in your blog that you offer your house-sitting services to composition professors. I will keep that in mind for my next sabbatical.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home